By Pam Estes Brewer, SIG Manager
The Academic SIG is flourishing! When I think about where we have come in the last three years, I am amazed. Even more amazing is that we have fun doing it. Here are just a few highlights from the past year. We have:
- Launched an electronic newsletter.
- Offered the Academic SIG Partnership Pre-Conference for a fourth year to an audience of 70+ technical communication professionals, educators, and students. The 2014 pre-conference was held 25 September in Colorado Springs. It ran back to back with CPTSC and ACM SIGDOC—three conferences together.
- Launched the third annual Student Poster Competition for the STC Summit, complete with great prizes and incentives (besides the incredible opportunity to network).
- Welcomed a new Assistant Manager for the SIG, Dr. Lisa Meloncon. This is the result of our first annual election.
- Supported the regeneration of the STC Body of Knowledge.
- Piloted a MentorBoard for students and academics.
- Coordinated efforts with the STC Board that have resulted in all student members’ receiving a complimentary membership to the SIG with their Society membership. We want to be the welcoming point for students.
- Seen our members win a number of research and teaching awards including the Frank R. Smith and Gould awards.
In the coming year, we plan to expand our efforts to:
- Establish a research grant or scholarship and pursue funding to enrich these offerings.
- Offer webinars of interest to students and educators.
- Pursue a rejuvenated Academic Programs database.
- Build a critical mass for the MentorBoard.
- Build our presence in social media.
- Make sure that our membership receives excellent opportunities that support them professionally.
I want to place exclamation points everywhere because we are doing outstanding work and making connections for our membership. And for the first time, we have talented people just waiting for opportunities to contribute to our initiatives.
The STC Academic SIG is the place to be. We want you to be a part of our mission:
The STC Academic SIG is a community of educators, practitioners, and students. We mentor young professionals to become future leaders in the field of technical communication and support the exchange of knowledge between academia and industry.