The Academic SIG is proud to announce a number of honors to be bestowed on our members at the upcoming Summit.
- Sally Henschel and Lisa Meloncon for the Frank R. Smith Outstanding Article Award for their article "Current State of U.S. Undergraduate Degree Programs in Technical and Professional Communication."
- Pam Estes Brewer for the Jay R. Gould award for excellence in teaching.
- Kirk St.Amant for his election to Fellow of the STC, and Cindy Pao for her election to Associate Fellow of the STC.
- Craig Baehr for the Distinguished SIG Service Award.
Congratulations on your well-deserved honors!
The Academic SIG is also proud to announce it has earned two honors to be presented at The Summit: Community of Excellence (third year in a row), and sharing the Pacesetter award with the Orlando-Central Florida and Willamette Valley chapters for their partnership with the Sigma Tau Delta Society.
The Academic SIG is always pleased to announce news of its members' accomplishments.
I just returned from STC Summit 2013 in Atlanta. It was a wonderful experience. I learned about the latest trends in technical communication so that I can bring them back to my students, and I networked with many people (educators and practitioners) who are interested in preparing students to become excellent practitioners.
We saw a definite upsurge in interest in student members, which was punctuated by the entire STC Board of Directors attending the student poster competition. We announced the launch of the new Mentorboard. And, we celebrated with the members and friends of our SIG who were award winners this year. Let me share just a few of those honors with you:
- For the second year, the Academic SIG was recognized as an STC Community of Excellence
- Craig Baehr, Texas Tech University and a member of the SIG Administrative Council, was named an Associate Fellow
- Bethany Bowles, University of Central Florida, received an Academic SIG Volunteer of the Year award for her work with student mentoring
- Samantha Gale, Appalachian State University, won first place in the student poster competition
- Sally Henschel and Carol Anne Wall, members of the SIG Administrative Council, received Distinguished SIG Service Awards
- Mak Pandit, Technowrites Pvt. Ltd., India, was named an Associate Fellow
- Kirk St.Amant, East Carolina University, was honored with the Jay R. Gould Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Dan Voss, Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control, won both a President’s Award and an Academic SIG Volunteer of the Year award for his work with student mentoring
I send sincere congratulations to these and other award winners. In addition, STC inducted four new students into the honor society Sigma Tau Delta. It was a good year! Please join our winning team in the work of creating another year of support for educating the technical communication professionals of tomorrow.
Pam Estes Brewer, Ph.D., Manager, Academic SIG