The Instructional Design & Learning (IDL) special interest group of the Society for Technical Communication (STC
) invites your graduate- and undergraduate-level students to become published before graduating.
Here are the basics of the program:
- Undergraduate- or graduate-level students submit an original article to us about some aspect of instructional design. If we choose to publish it in our newsletter, IDeaL: Design for Learning, the student receives a complimentary STC student membership, which includes a membership in the IDL Special Interest Group (SIG).
- With the student’s permission, once we publish their article we will submit it to STC’s Technical Communication Body of Knowledge (TCBOK). If the editors decide to include the student’s article in the TCBOK, he or she earns an additional year’s STC/IDL membership (or an equivalent award if they no longer qualify for student membership because they’ve graduated).
- Once published, students can link to their article from their résumé and possibly on their LinkedIn profile page—ideally gaining an edge in becoming employed after graduation.
Attached is a flier describing the program in more detail. It directs students to http://www.stcidlsig.org/students/youcanbepublished/
to get the entry packet for submitting an article. Kindly do the following to inform your students of this offer:
- Print the attached flier and post it where students will see it.
- Mention the opportunity when your class meets.
- Forward this email and attachment to students.
- Stress the deadline of December 31, 2016.
We hope your students will take advantage of this win-win opportunity to be published before graduating!
Student Outreach Committee
IDL SIG of STC